Friday, February 23, 2007

The Story



Kevin relates that some of the powers that be where he works spent a goodly amount of time last week debating just how long they ought to cover the Anna Nicole Smith story.

“Until the child is grown?” was my guess – and, after the events of this week, my fondest wish as well.

I cared not a whit about the woman while she was living, with the possible exception of her trip to the Supreme Court, a moment when America seemed to be an even stranger and more wonderful place – in a word, Italy.

It almost made up for the twenty minutes I once lost, transfixed, watching her reality show in a horrified trance.
Have any memories, from the pre-school years, of being forced to search an elderly aunt’s oversize purse? That is what watching her reality show felt like.

Her death was unsettling anyway: I never like to hear of a self-medicator from my own age bracket slip away like that.

But the circus going on now – I can’t get enough of it.





No comments: